The Hill Family History
Anthony Hill, of English descent, was born in Holland, and came from there to America about r72o. He settled in New York City, became a freeholder and removed to Fox Meadows, now a part of Scarsdale, Westchester County, N.Y. April 7, 1726, he,with others, conveyed to Thomas Thong a lot in the north ward of the City of New York. In the deed he is described as of Fox Meadows. As early as 1726 he became a freeholder at Fox Meadows. January 8, 1727, he purchased from Samuel Drake, of Fox Meadows, "a tract or parcel of land lying, being situate in ye County of Westchester near ye head of Hutchinson River, containing twenty-one acres, bounded as followeth, beginning on ye southwest corner of Samuel Drake's land, thence running northwesterly by ye land of Anthony Hills to Brunks River, thence along said river easterly twenty-one rods to a white oak stake with stones around it, thence running southeasterly a straight line through ye land of said Samuel Drake's until ye southeast corner bounds bears in a line twenty-one rods from ye first mentioned bounds, and from thence running westerly 216ft* ye White Plains road to ye first mentioned bounds twenty-one rods, and ye bounds on ye southeast corner is a small white oak saplin marked, and further ye first bounds herein mentioned is ye first bounds of ye land herein sold to Anthony Hill." (Liber F. 352 Westchester County Deeds, March 24, r73o.)
About 1744, while living at Fox Meadows, he purchased from the Indians some lands near what afterwards became known as Red Mills, Dutchess County, and now known as Mahopac Falls, in the town of Carmel, Putnam County, N.Y. In 1749 Anthony Hill bought and sold lands at Brown's Point, now a part of the town of Harrison, Westchester County, N.Y. Two of the sons of Anthony Hill, William and Uriah, removed to the lands purchased by their father of the Indians.
About 1726 Anthony married Nancy Ward. He died intestate, at Fox Meadows, in the winter of 1759-6o. February 12, 1760, letters of administration were issued by James De Lancey, Lieutenant Governor of the Province of New York, to Mary Hill, widow of Anthony Hill, farmer, late of the County of Westchester, deceased. After the death of her husband Mrs. Hill removed to Red Mills, where she made her home with her son William, dying at the age of 93 years.
Children of Anthony, and Mary (Ward) Hill, all born at Fox Meadows, N.Y.:
William Hill, son of Anthony and Mary (Ward) Hill, settled at Red Mills, on lands purchased by his father of the Indians. He brought with him from Fox Meadows a colt. One day it strayed away and while looking for it in the evening, he was attacked by a pack of wolves, and obliged to seek refuge in a tree, where he remained all night. Early the next morning, wwhile returning by circuitous route to his log cabin, he came to the log cabin of Ge'rge Hughson, the first white settler of that part of the country. The Hughson cabin was on the ridge north of Lake Mahopac.
Mr. Hill was a farmer and large land owner. September 25, 1763, he purchased farm No. 36, in Lot No. 5, containing 245 acres of Colonel Roger andMary (Philipse) Morris. This was the first tract of land sold in Putnam (then part of Dutchess) County by the Philipse family, the original patentees. This farm was subsequently divided by Mr. Hill among his four sons. The house in which he lived was torn down in 1843. It stood a little north of the Hill family burying ground.
In colonial days William Hill was a lieutenant in the local militia and afterwards a captain. He married Bethiah, daughter of Abraham Smith, of what is now known as Putnam Valley, Putnam County, N.Y. She was born in 1738, and died at Red Mills in August, 1798. Both are buried in the Hill family burying ground, at Red Mills, N.Y. The will of Mr. Hill, dated August 1, 1796, proved February 3, 1297, recorded in Dutchess County Surrogate's office in Liber B, of Wills., page 31, describes himself as "William Hill, Sr., of the town of Carmel, Dutchess County-, yeoman." By it he gave his wife sixty pounds, his negro man Mink and the use of one quarter of his homestead farm. He mentions in his will his sons Noah, William, Cornelius and Abraham, and his daughters Phebe Heroy, Mary Rhodes, Chloe Crane and Jane Lounsberry. The witnesses to will were Jonathan Stokum and Jonathan Whiting, both of whom were writers and lived near Red Mills. The latter died January 14, 1787.
Children of William and Bethiah (Smith) Hill, born at Red Mills:
Uriah Hill, son of Anthony and Mary (Ward) Hill, was a fur trader. In 1764 lived at White Plains, N. Y., where he was a freeholder. He also lived at one time in the southern part of Dutchess County. April 23, 1780, he purchased from Philip Earle forty-two acres of land near New Barbadoes (Hackensack), Bergen County, New Jersey; Liber C, 356, Bergen Co. Deeds. May 30, 1764, he executed a power of attorney to his brothers William and Andrew, authorizing them to sell his stock of furs, skins and feathers, in Albany County, valued at 6oo pounds, and his real estate in Bergen County, (Liber C, 358, Bergen Co. Deeds). Uriah having died about 1264, his son Anthony, June 1774, conveyed his interest in the real estate to Stephen Case, later of New Marlborough, N. Y. In 1784 Uriah was a constable in South Precinct, Dutchess Co., N.Y. May 4, 1765, letters of administration were issued to Andrew Hill, farmer of Westchester, upon estate of his brother Uriah, late of said county, deceased, (N. Y. Sur. office).
Children of Uriah Hill, according to family tradition:
Anthony Hill, son of Anthony and Mary (Ward) Hill, removed from Fox Meadows to that part of Cortlandt's Manor now known as Yorktown, Westchester Co., N.Y. His will, dated May 26, 1766, proved August 25, 1266, gives personal estate to his wife Elizabeth and daughters Elizabeth and Mary and names his brother, Andrew Hill, executor. He probably had no other children.
Children of Anthony and Elizabeth Hill:
Andrew Hill, son of Anthony and Mary (Ward) Hill, removed from Fox Meadows after 1765 to Dutchess County, N. Y., where he resided until 178o, when he removed to Marbletown, Ulster County, N.Y., and from there to Shokan, Ulster County, N.Y., where both he and his wife died and are buried in Reformed Dutch church yard. August 15, r775, he signed the Revolutionary Association pledge in Dutchess County. October 17, 1776, he was commissioned as captain in the Second Regiment, Dutchess County Militia, Rombout Precinct. In 1777 he was appointed as Major of the Levies, Dutchess County, N.Y. In 1778 he was commissioned as Major in the Dutchess County Militia, Second Regiment. In 1789 he was appointed as Major No., Dutchess County Militia. It appears in New York in Revolution, Supplement, that he furnished one or more soldiers at his own expense, for which honorable mention is given him. He was a freeholder in both Dutchess and Ulster Counties. May 8, 1786, he purchased of Daniel Graham, Commissioner of Forfeitures, 385 acres in Philipse Precinct, Lot 3, Philipse Patent, Dutchess County. September 2, 1788, describing himself as of Marbletown, Ulster County, he conveyed the 385 acres to his son Andrew Hill, Jr., of Marbletown. His name appears upon the list of members of the Reformed Dutch Church at Shokan. According to a tradition in the family, hiw wife was Catherine Horton, of Westchester County. After his appointment as Major, he was generally known as Major Hill.
Children of Andrew and Catherine (Horton) Hill:
Miriam Hill, daughter of Anthony and Mary (Ward) Hill,married Elisha Lamoreaux, of Rensselaerville, Albany County, N. Y. Children of Elisha and Miriam (Hill) Lamoureux:
Abraham Hill, son of Capt. William Hill, was born July 24th, 1774, and died March 25th, 1813. He married Deborah, daughter of Israel Lounsbury. She was born April 18th, 1780, and died September 6th, 1849; they were married January 18th, 1798. The children of this marriage were: Mary, born June 19th, 1799; Isaac; Addison, born May 27th,1803. died June 5th, 1863; Solomon; Tamar, born May 31st, 1807, married James W. Horton; Thomas, born June 10th, 1809, died April 19th, 1878; and Abraham, born May 5th, 1811.
Isaac Hill, the oldest son of Abraham Hill, was born May 3d, 1801, and married Mary, daughter of Horace Gregory. Their children are: Elizabeth G.Hill, Mary D., wife of Elias B. Glen, of Wayne county, N. Y.; Sarah F., wife of Irving Wright; Inez C., and Thomas T., who married, Ella F., daughter of Manning Menill, and. has two children, Frederick H. and. Alice G.
The residence of Mr. Isaac Hill is about a mile north of Red Mills on a farm that was purchased of William H. Johnston, March 8th, 1827, and which is bounded east by Kirk Lake. This farm, as well as that of Solomon Hill adljoining is on the east side of the road, running north from Red Mills and directly opposite the original "Hill Farm."
Solomon Hill, son of Abraham Hill, was born April 9th, 1805. He married Hannah, daughter of Michael Sloat, and his children are: Allen B., Tamar A. (wife of Leonard Curry of West Somers, who has two children, Charles H. and Jennie B.), andl Charles S., who married Clorinda, claughter of Daniel Squires, and has two children, Albert L. and Nellie F. Mr. Solomon Hill is now living at the advanced age of 80, on a farm about a mile and a half north of Red Mills, and to his retentive memory we are indebted for many facts relating to the early history of this vicinity.
James Hill, son of Cornelius, and grandson of Captain William Hill, married Sarah, daughter of Lewis Pinchney, and has children: Cornelius, Lewis, Mary, wife of Smith S. Austin; Charlotte A., wife of Robert D. Wixsom; Joseph (cleceasetl); Elizabeth, wife of Sturgis Buckley; Caroline, wife of Leon Hotchkiss; and William of New York City. Mr. James Hill is now living on a portion of the original "Hill Farm."
Abraham Hill, son of Abraham and grandson of Capt. William, married Tamar, daughter of Daniel Lounsbury. They had two children, Theodore and Hannah J., wife of Peter B. Curry, 2d, of Jefferson Valley.
The old homestead of the Hill family, which has ever borne the name of the "Hill Farm," has an especial interest from the fact that it was the first piece of land ever sold in Putnam County. In the deed of marriage settlement given by Mary Philipse and Roger Morris January 14th, 1758, the power was reserved to sell sufficient land to amount to the sum of $3,000. It was in accordance with this reservation that Roger Morris and his wife Mary sold to William Hill, September 25th, 1763, the farm which is thus described in the deed:
"All that certain farm: known as farm Number 36 of Lot No. 5 of the lands formerly granted by Patent to Adolph Philipse, Esq., which said farm begins at a hickory sapling, being the north corner to lots No. 35 and 43, and running south six degrees, 45 minutes east', 16 chains 37 links, thence south 9 degrees 29 chains, and 34 links to the cornerof lot 34, thence south 33 degrees, 30 minutes, west 16 chains 45 links, thence south 33 degrees, 30 minutes west, 11 chains 27 links to the corner of lot number 15, thence south 88 degrees west 33 chains to a beech tree, being the corner to lots 14, 15 and. 37, thence north 7 degrees 30 minutes east 16 chains 59 links to an ash tree, thence north 18 degrees east 9 chains to a maple tree, thence north 41 degrees 30 minutes east, 11 chains 2 links to a red oak tree, then north 23, east 32 chains, 8 links, [o tl red oak tree being the corner of lot No. 39, thence south 6Tdegrees, 15 minutes,
The part of the original farm next north of the above was given to Solomon Hill, who sold it to his brothers, Abraham anrl Cornelius, and it is now owned by Cornelius Hill, the grandson of the Cornelius above. This part was 20 acres, and next north was 42 acres, which was given to Noah Hill, who sold it to Thomas Lounsbury. He conveyed it to James Hill, son of Cornelius, and it was sold by his assignees to Cornelius, son of James Hill, who now owns it. To the north of this \4'as A tract of 27 acres given to William Hill. He sold it to Abraham, his brother, who left it to his children. It was purchased by Solomon alrd. Isaac Hill from the other heirs, and they sold to their brother, Thomas, who re-sold it to Solomon, and it was sold by him to Asahel H. Humphreys, December 24bh, 1879, and it now belongs to the Mahopac Iron Company, and the "Hill Mine" is located on it.
At the north end of the original farm was a piece of 10 acres given to Noah Hill to make his part as good as the rest. He conveyed it to his brother, Abraham, who left it to his children, and it was bought by Solomon from the rest of the heirs ancl sold by him to Anthony Stokunr, and it was sold by his a ministrators to William Agor, its present owner. The old house in which Capt. William Hill resided; stood just north off the family burying ground, about 1843, it was torn down. In the family burying ground on this farm are the graves of several generations. Capt. William Hill, the ancestor of the family, died. in August, 1796, aged. 70. His wife, Bethia, died in August, 1798, at, the age of 60. The dates of the deaths of the other members of the family are given above. An elegant monument marks the resting place of the wife Charles S. Hill, Gloriana, who died January 5th, 1884, at the age of forty-four.