In The News
Did You Know?
Old Baptist Cemetery (a.k.a. Old Revolutionary Cemetery)
||Though the other Baptist Cemetery has the oldest clearly marked stone in the town of Patterson (1782), this is the oldest cemetery in the Town, as it was in use prior to 1780, when it appeared on Erskine’s Military Map. The Baptist Church met in an old log church across the road before moving to its present location, in the early 1800’s, about two miles south on Route 311. It was called Fredrickstown Baptist Church, then Franklin Baptist Church, and finally Patterson Baptist Church. Many of the graves are marked with fieldstones. There appear to be as many as 200 people buried in this cemetery. There are some Revolutionary War Veterans buried in this cemetery.
||Located on the eastern side of Route 311, across from Brickhouse Rd., just south of the Village of Patterson.
|How To Access:
||Park next to the cemetery on 311.
|Tax Map No.:
||Patterson 1313 5/17/1973; 13.3-3-55
|Owner of Record:
||Town of Patterson
|Size & Use:
||About 1 acre
||1784 – Nathan Sturges (oldest readable).
||Neglected. Needs trees and brush removed. Needs better fence.
||Not maintained. The Town of Patterson is concerned the remaining gravestones will be vandalized if partial work is done as most of the cemetery is not visible from the road. Land between Route 311 and the Cemetery would have to be cleared first. This is a County Road and needs permission from the County and D.O.T.
||Trees on County & State property, along road need to be cut back. Trees in cemetery need to be removed. Accessible entrance gate is needed. An identification sign is needed.
The church was located across the street. The church moved and got the Towner's Cemetery at Four Corners (which was expanded and became the Patterson Baptist Church Cemetery
Click on a name below for photo of headstone and location in cemetary.